Cypherpunks State of Emergency

Matthew J. Miszewski mjmiski at execpc.com
Wed Nov 20 10:02:13 PST 1996

(snip)
> I think it's apparent that the events of Friday, with the other shoe to
> drop on Monday (the H-P/Intel/Microsoft/etc. Final Capitulation), signal to
> us that we are in a State of Emergency.
>
> The Presidents of this country are in the habit of declaring such States of
> Emergency, often essentially secretly (in that the sheeple know little of
> such things, and those who speak of NSDDs and PDDs and EOs are demonized by
> the media as "conspiracy nuts" and "militia members").
>
> Maybe it's time for us to stop flaming about Vulis and his allies, and
> concentrate on the Real War.
(snip)

I have to agree.  One of the most impressive things I have seen as a
modern "movement" (yes I realize cpunks are not an organized
movement, relax) was the massive public relations job done by several
core cpunks around the 1993 Clipper proposal.  People with largely
divergent opinions found public ground in their opposition to
Clipper.  Lets do that again.

One thing that will help is spreading the use of filtering.  Those
interested in learning how to filter should be able to ask any of us
and we should all respond ASAP.  The Noise is horrible in here, but I
only hear it in my trash folder.

[BTW, Tim, thanks for being willing to withstand the crap you go
through.  You, and others on this list, have consistantly challenged
and changed my assumptions about society, law and privacy.  I dont
always agree with you.  But I am glad you are here.]

Matt Miszewski