[QUADRUPLE]-- Rewards for errors in _Digital Cash_

Peter Wayner pcw at access.digex.net
Mon Nov 18 10:56:55 PST 1996

I just saw the movie "Ransom" where Mel Gibson gets to be cool
by doubling the reward for the capture of his son's kidnappers.
In that spirit, I'm doubling my reward again. What was once a
reward of $10 for information about a technical error in the
book is now a reward of $40.

Also, I've opened an account with Mark Twain bank so I can pay
the rewards in Digicash. Or, if you prefer First Virtual, I can
handle that as well. Or, if you're old fashioned and want my
signature, you get the proverbial check in the mail.

The details are simple. The first person to report a technical
error in the book gets $40. You're also welcome to make
suggestions for ways to improve the book. I may pay a reward for
these, but I can't make a blanket promise. I'm reaching my
deadline so this offer will only be good until the end of
November,
1996.

So far no one has reported any technical errors. A few have made
suggestions that I've taken. I hope more will continue to offer
suggestions for improving the book because they're a great help
and I will reward them.

Here is the ``fine print'':

1) My decisions on what constitutes an error are final. I could
declare something a ``feature'', not an error. Or I could lump
many errors together and label it ``one''. So if I left out a
page, this could be one error, not 200+ errors in the page
number on all subsequent pages.  But I hope to use this power
benevolently.

2) Technical errors are eligible. Errors in spelling and grammar
aren't. It's just too hard to come up with a logical definition
of correct grammar. Technical errors also involve some amount of
judgement, but I think they are tighter.

3) My decision on who is the ``first'' person to discover an
error is final. I may choose to reward two people who obviously
work independently. I just want to defend against people saying,
"Okay, let's mail him this simulatenously."

4) This offer may be withdrawn at any time. Check my webpage for
details.

5) Copies of the book may be obtained by purchasing them from
1-800-3131277 or from your local bookstore.

Peter Wayner
pcw at access.digex.net
http://www.access.digex.net/~pcw/pcwpage.html
410-433-8275