Members of Parliament Problem

Timothy C. May tcmay at got.net
Sun Nov 17 19:14:56 PST 1996

At 6:45 PM -0800 11/17/96, Peter Hendrickson wrote:
>At 6:32 PM 11/17/1996, Peter Hendrickson wrote:
>>At 1:23 PM 11/17/1996, Timothy C. May wrote:
>>>At 11:43 AM -0800 11/17/96, Peter Hendrickson wrote:
>>> For the specific example Peter cites, of a member of Parliament who doesn't
>>> like the possibility of anonymity....well, he wouldn't be part of the
>>> DC-Net would he? Generally, there are no cryptographic solutions that will
>>> encompass the case where some member wants to speak anonymously, but no one
>>> else does. If a message originates from "someone in Parliament," but only
>>> one member of Parliament is set up to speak anonymously, then of course by
>>> simple elimination he is the speaker. As before, this is beyond any
>>> cryptographic solution.
>
>> It turns out - amazingly enough - that this is not true!
>
>It turns out - not so amazingly - that Tim is right!
>
>See Hal Finney's post of about this time.  It turns out that the
>other Members of Parliament do have to cooperate.
>
>Sorry about that.

My response to your first message just was being sent as I was receiving
this one.

Glad to know my intuitions were sound.

--Tim

"The government announcement is disastrous," said Jim Bidzos,.."We warned IBM
that the National Security Agency would try to twist their technology."
[NYT, 1996-10-02]
Higher Power: 2^1,257,787-1 | black markets, collapse of governments.