You ought to REALLY look at this...

George A. Stathis hyperlex at hol.gr
Sun Nov 17 13:21:04 PST 1996

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I hereby quote a rather remarkable letter, which I pass on to whom it may
concern. I consider it an _honour_ to have received such a letter, even
though the material expressed in the letter is a serious assault on the
entire Western Value System, and possibly Civilisation itself, no joke.

At first I did not believe such a *terrorist* letter could have EVER been
written. And I could never believe myself to be the recipient of it either.

But now I strongly recommend you read it carefully and think about it...

For your OWN benefit, I believe more than mine...

With thanks for your attention
George A. Stathis

P.S. If you take a deep breath, see my (amusing?) comments in the end. :)

>Hops: 0
>Posted-Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 20:13:15 -0200 (GMT)
>Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 10:18:36 -0800
>To: "George A. Stathis" <hyperlex at hol.gr>
>From: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay at got.net>
>Subject: Stathis on "Don't Hire" List
>
>At 9:00 AM -0200 11/17/96, George A. Stathis wrote:
>
>>It is not ethical to send such strong negative _injunctions_ to masses
>>of people and also to strangers (the 1900-strong members of the cyberphunks
>>list for instance). Because, you may or may not have strong reasons for
>>believing you are justified in such invalidation, but more than a 1000
>>people are now _told_ by (self-appointed) "experts" such as yourself what
>>and whom to ignore or to believe. (Like sheep led to the slaughter)...
>
>"Not ethical"?
>
>But we will do it anyway. Moreover, some of us maintain lists of "Do Not
>Hire" persons. Few high tech or Silicon Valley software companies will hire
>such folks.
>
>Congratulations, Stathis, as you are now on such a list.
>

>"The government announcement is disastrous," said Jim Bidzos,.."We warned IBM
>that the National Security Agency would try to twist their technology."
>[NYT, 1996-10-02]
>We got computers, we're tapping phone lines, I know that that ain't allowed.
>---------:---------:---------:---------:---------:---------:---------:----
>Timothy C. May              | Crypto Anarchy: encryption, digital money,
>tcmay at got.net  408-728-0152 | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
>W.A.S.T.E.: Corralitos, CA  | knowledge, reputations, information markets,
>Higher Power: 2^1,257,787-1 | black markets, collapse of governments.
>"National borders aren't even speed bumps on the information superhighway."

Comments?

(1)
Well, first of all, Tim May is doing a disservice to the companies who use
his services. They will end up hiring only morons and controllable relics
of human creativity;  Which is why there a WORLD-SHORTAGE of SUPER-
PROGRAMMERS at the moment, as reported e.g. by Byte-magazine.

(2)
If I were a _clever_ American employer, I'd use Tim's 'black list', in
order to HIRE precisely those people whom he considers 'unemployable'...

(3)
Now I don't want to boast about who I am, but it's strangely ironical
that I _am_ one such "Super-Programmer" (fluent in PROLOG. Assembly, 'C'
and also... English -a computer-lingo as it happens). In the eighties I
was also a painter (of pictures, not walls), and other things...
As a 'New Age' kind of person, I used to admire America for rewarding and
promoting human _talent_, as opposed to human mediocrity, subservience
(the "Yes-Man" attitude), and Evil in the Soul. (as often happened in
old-whore Europe; especially in Greece)... :-)

Nowadays, however, when 'people' like Tim May, are able to dictate to your
admirable High-Technology firms, *what* kind of people to hire and what not
to hire, I can see... very gloomy prospects for American Research, _if_
this type of monstrocity (as his letter) is prevails for too long... :-)

Originally, lists of "unemployable" people, which I had heard of, crossed
my mind as 'probably justified'. As an EMPLOYER MYSELF, with a small but
strong software-house, here in Athens, with at least one important Market
Success, I do have some experience, you know, of what kind of people *are*
and what kind of people are *not* 'employable'. I once knew a very good but
very egotistic Assembly Language programmer. When he stopped working with
me he stole large sections of my source-code. As a result, I find it hard
to trust 'employees' ever since...

(4)
I would therefore request a list of 'unemployable' people in order to choose
possible collaborators, in my work. They should be highly proficient in
PROLOG code, as well as ASSEMBLY and 'C', and should also be sociable, witty
and independent-minded.  Clashing with personalities like Tim May's may be
considered an added advantage.

(5)
Just for the record, I spoke on the phone with an important partner, told
him what happened, and was told by him that Tim May's letter is the kind
of scum-fascism no serious European Company would ever give credit to...

However, Tim's letter appears not so much to address me personally, as much
as the hordes of gullible, insecure, employment-hungry young Americans, who
are often _terrorised_ into complete SILENCE, since the _slightest_ amount
of free speech in their own natural (or Net-) surroundings, causes Fascist
PUnk-Thugs like TIm May to threaten them with unemployability.

Although Tim May's letter in itself constitutes terroristic harrasment,
threat to libery (via threat of unemployability), and so on, I consider these
labels to be irrelevant in this case, and legal arguments highly irrelevant.

When Nazi Germany deported Einstein it took much less elaborate procedures
than flawed 'unemployability lists'. Perhaps hiring Mafia men to finish us
off would be a much more efficient tactic in this respect. :-)

With Dismay, but also... Inspiration :-)
Geore A. Stathis

P.S. I also cross-posted this DELIBERATELY, this time to the cypherpunks
     list, in order to give more COURAGE to those poor list-members whose
     standard of living suffers the terror and threat of Unemployment,
     just in case they know who is responsible for their future sufferings.