Censor John Gilmore -- EFF is a disgrace!

Dale Thorn dthorn at gte.net
Sat Nov 16 10:47:31 PST 1996

Tim Scanlon wrote:
> Stephen Boursy wrote, along with a horde of others with no lives:
> [lots of worthless crap snipped out]
> > None of that analogy is applicable to the cyberpunks list.
> > When a list gets as big as that, it it no longer to be considered
> > a "mailing-list" but it is a _public_ forum.  The whole problem
> > here is the abuse of power by both the EFF and John Gilmore.

> It's not an abuse of power. It was an effort to curtail inappropriate
> SPAM. Much like this entire topic has become non-crypto SPAM on the
> cypherpunks list.

[snippo]

> Oh, and it's spelled "internet", and when use inside a sentance, it isn't
> capitolized, no matter what Bill tells you.

Tim is criticizing whom?
Tim, it's spelled "sentence", with an "e".
Tim, it's spelled "capitalized", with an "a".

> And if you pulled the plug
> on any of your 6 lists, the members would have the option of reforming
> another list someplace else, but it would be YOUR OPTION to pull the
> plug, unless you were "only" the adminstrator, and not the list "owner".
> John owns the list in the classic sense. (Ok I realize I may have lost
> you there Mr. "InterNet", but the way it works is that either organizations
> or individuals own lists, in this case it's an individual.)

Speaking of "classis sense", this is yet another bunch of drivel which
says nothing but implies that ownership of the machinery allows the
"owner" to exercise rights over the messages and the messagers.

> All bullshit aside, this whole thing has NOTHING to do with crypto.
> And it has very VERY little to do with censorship either. And it's
> gotten way, way out of hand. I suggest that it might be better not
> to spam cypherpunks with this stuff, and to give it a rest.

Do you talk to yourself a lot, bud?  Why should anyone give a damn what
you think about whether they are on-topic or not, or what they choose to
do with their time? Why don't you go read up on some of these things and
contribute something useful instead?

BTW, I think appropriately is spelled with an "e".