[REBUTTAL] Censorship on cypherpunks?, from The Netly News

aga aga at dhp.com
Sat Nov 16 02:27:58 PST 1996

On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, Bill Frantz wrote:

> Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 13:02:04 -0800
> From: Bill Frantz <frantz at netcom.com>
> To: snow <snow at smoke.suba.com>, Dave Hayes <dave at kachina.jetcafe.org>,
>     aga <aga at dhp.com>
> Cc: declan at well.com, cypherpunks at toad.com
> Subject: Re: [REBUTTAL] Censorship on cypherpunks?, from The Netly News
>
> aga <aga at dhp.com> wrote:
> >Let's stay on topic here -- John Gilmore is a censorous asshole
> >for pulling Vulis's plug.  The topic has nothing to do with
> >the Freedom-Knights.
>
> At 12:19 AM 11/15/96 -0600, snow wrote:
> >> [This is a rebuttal to a misguided news article.]
> >>
> >> Notice how, once the opposition is admitted to, the rationalization
> >> begins. Suddenly this is not a matter of censorship, but of ownership.
> >> Just as suddenly, the classic anti-free-speech arguments of "if you
> >> don't like it, start yer own" begin to surface. (Anyone ever notice
> >> how this resembles the "love it or leave it" mentality of certain
> >> American patriotic organizations?)
> >
> >     It still isn't censorship. Censorship, at least in my dictionary,
> >refers to censor, which uses the word "Official" several times. Mr.
> >Gilmore is not an "Official" in a government sense, he maybe in the EFF
> >sense, but this is not an "Official" EFF organ, so that doesn't count.
>
> Even more important is the fact that Mr. Gilmore did not prevent Mr. Vulis
> from speaking.  No restraint on speech implies no censorship.  Therefor Mr.
> Vulis was not censored.  Q.E.D.
>
> You all are perfectly free to like or not like what Mr. Gilmore did.
> However, don't call it censorship because it wasn't.

Yes it WAS!!  He censored the mode and manner of the speaker.
He censored the personal attacks and the rants and the racial
diatribes!  And that SUCKS!  Gilmore was a fucking asshole for
doing it!  And Gilmore is the WORST kind of censor that there
can be, one who censors a person's "style."

-aga.admin
InterNet Freedom Council