In case it isn't obvious

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Wed Nov 13 20:47:06 PST 1996

In case it isn't obvious, I respect the right of the freedom-knights folks
to do whatever they want on their mailing list. The list is theirs; they
can operate it as they please.

But perhaps I can show them the folly of their definitions of
"censorship." Kicking off someone who engages in personal attacks and
off-topic rants will usually improve, not hurt, the tenor of conversation
on the list. The tragedy of the commons and all.

In my experience, and I've talked about this at some length with Prof.
Volokh who runs a number of lists himself, the best and most valuable
discussion lists are those that are unmoderated but have a list owner who
has the power to kick folks off a list and can try to steer the direction
of a conversation if it veers too far from the list's charter.

-Declan