Secrecy: My life as a nym. (Was: nym blown?)

Jim McCoy mccoy at communities.com
Mon Nov 11 14:22:09 PST 1996

Hal writes:
>Black Unicorn makes a lot of good points regarding privacy.  One thing
>I wanted to follow up on:
>
>> Unfortunately, in the United States most citizens only become interested
>> in privacy in their 20s or so.  By this time it is difficult to overcome
>> the mass of information which has been stored up.  (Pseudocide can be an
>> attractive option for some perhaps).
[...]
>Are there other measures which parents could take while their children are
>young to get them off to a good start, privacy-wise?

Do not declare your children as dependants.  If you do then you are required
to get a SSN for them, but if you are willing to waive the tax savings there
is no requirement than children have a SSN.  Not having a handy universal
index number like a SSN makes it a lot harder for people to accumulate
statistics on your kids.

jim