Rarity: Crypto question enclosed

David K. Merriman merriman at amaonline.com
Mon Nov 11 10:31:44 PST 1996

To: mianigand at outlook.net, cypherpunks at toad.com
Date: Mon Nov 11 12:31:25 1996
> > My simple question is regarding key/certificate distribution:
> >
> >         Is there any particular reason that such can't be
> accomplished via
> > on-line lists, and made available via a service on a port, using
> standard
> > (textual) commands, like mail and such are now?
>
> It's possible to have a key-server listen on a port and accept
> requests, then it would
> fork a process, process the result, and return an answer set.
>
> But how many CPU cycles would it take for a machine to process a
> request, ie going through
> 1000 of keys?  I am not exactly sure, it took a long while on my
> pentium.
>
> In my opinion, if I were to run a key server as a service, with
> clients connecting and requesting a key
> it shouldn't take more than a minute to get a responce.

Agreed - a proper search algorithm should yield an answer in a few seconds,
at most.

> >         The things that come to mind are a 'client' request for a
> key, a
> > 'client' submission of a key, an external host requesting a key
> exchange,
> > and the host itself requesting a key exchange with another system
> (only
> > new/changed keys being swapped).
>
> Had the exact same idea, but came up with an interesting concept. When
> a person submits a key, a PGP process is spawned yeilding the
> following information 1.) The name (peponmc at cris.com) 2.) The real
> name (Michael Peponis) 3.) The key size 4.) Creation date of the key
> 5.) Key finger print
>
> This information, along with the acutal key would be inserted into a
> SQL Database table
>
> With a structure similar to this

... <deletia> ...

The reason I brought the idea up here was in the hope that others on the CP
list could help work out the fussy details of the protocol: what info would
need to be included for what types of exchanges, what port(s) would be good
to work with, etc. Platform/implementation would be subject to considerable
variation - but the idea would survive (hopefully :-)

> It's not that hard, it's performance that's more of an issue.  The
> beauty of my approch would be that initially, there would be alot of
> "Add" requests, resulting in many PGP processes running on the box,
> but eventually, they would tapper off.

Again, implementation on any particular platform using any particular OS
would be up to the afficionados of said platforms/OS's. I'm more interested
in the CP list coming up with the protocol/standards.

Dave