Smart Bombs

Marshall Clow mclow at owl.csusm.edu
Fri Nov 8 14:16:48 PST 1996

jbugden at smtplink.alis.ca wrote:
>Smart Use for Smart Cards
>
>"UBIQ announced that its software has been selected by American Express to
>personalize smart cards that will be issued ... for ticketless travel on
>American Airlines. ... Airline travelers with these smart card holders will be
>able to proceed directly to an airport gate, insert their smart card into a gate
>reader, receive seat confirmation, and board the plane without touching a single
>piece of paper.

Does this mean that you can fly without showing any identification? It sounds like it.

What is to prevent my company from getting a half dozen of these cards, and when someone in the company needs to travel, loading a card with the travel info and giving it to the traveller?

Note that (as far as the airline or FCC is concerned) there is no person <<-->> card mapping.

Other scenarios:
Will travel agents be able to issue these cards?
How about airport ticket agencies?
Will people be able to buy cards for cash?

James wrote:
>Of course, not having a card may subject you to greater scrutiny at check-in
>time due to the reduced tracking ability.

I think that you have this backwards. There will be less tracking ability for people flying w/o tickets.

-- Marshall

Marshall Clow     Aladdin Systems   <mailto:mclow at mailhost2.csusm.edu>

"We're not gonna take it/Never did and never will
We're not gonna take it/Gonna break it, gonna shake it,
let's forget it better still" -- The Who, "Tommy"