Is there a Win PGP?

William H. Geiger III whgiii at amaranth.com
Fri Nov 8 09:30:29 PST 1996

In <Pine.OSF.3.90.961107161755.5877A-100000 at olympus.mta.ca>, on 11/07/96 at 05:06 PM,
   "Michael C Taylor (CSD)" <mctaylor at olympus.mta.ca> said:

>PGP Inc. (http://www.pgp.com/) is now marketing Viacrypt PGP.
> There are two packages, Viacrypt PGP Personal Edition which is PGP, like we  all
>know and love. PE also is available as DOS, MS-Windows, Mac, and UNIX. So  Viacrypt
>PGP/PE for DOS should feel similar if not identical to MIT's PGP,  though I haven't
>tested it yet.
> You could license IDEA single-license and license RSAREF for commerical  usage
>(http://www.consensus.com/ or JonathanZ at consensus.com), but why  bother?

Well their are several reasons I myself would rather use the "free" version in a commercial enviromet:

1. Source code is not available for the ViaCrypt version.

2. No OS/2 version

3. I really don't like the Windows GUI that ViaCrypt has developed. (I am biased by the fact that I have written my own <G>).

On # 1 this is a problem for those that like to have the source code and compile the program themselfs and without the source code one is unable to run it on an unsupported platform (see #2)

On #2 this is a bussiness dicision made by ViaCrypt. I'll leave it at that. (no sense starting an OS war).

On #3 this again is just a personal preference issue and would not rate it as a big factor.

I am corresponding with PGP Inc. on the legal issues of using the "free-ware" version in a commercial enviroment.

William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii
Geiger Consulting    WebExplorer & Java Enhanced!!!
Cooking With Warp 4.0

Author of PGPMR2 - PGP Front End for MR/2 Ice

Look for MR/2 Tips & Rexx Scripts
Get Work Place Shell for Windows!!

Finger whgiii at amaranth.com for PGP Key and other info

*MR/2 ICE: "Luke!  I'm your father!"  Bill Gates, 1980