Why is cryptoanarchy irreversible?

Peter Hendrickson ph at netcom.com
Fri Nov 8 09:02:47 PST 1996

At 12:01 AM 11/8/1996, Timothy C. May wrote:
> I don't believe it is as easy to differentiate between unencrypted and
> encrypted traffic as Peter believes, and I definitely don't believe the
> United States could stand--in the form it is in now, Consitutionally--if
> forms of language and speech were to be banned and violators of the ban
> were to receive harsh treatments.

Maybe we don't differentiate between traffic.  Maybe we work on
tempest attacks.  Think about this right now - do you know for
sure that nobody is lurking in a van down the road with eavesdropping
equipment?  Do you know for sure that nobody is renting a room
from one of your neighbors for all the equipment?

If cryptoanarchy is unpopular, once you are a suspect - and are
"guilty" - it is all over for your career as a cryptoanarchist.

What are the benefits of being a cryptoanarchist?  Maybe you get
to double your income.  Most people won't see this as worth the
trouble.

Peter Hendrickson
ph at netcom.com