[NOISE] If the shoe fits, wear it [VULIS]

Thomas C. Allard m1tca00 at FRB.GOV
Fri Nov 8 08:13:48 PST 1996

Rich Graves <rcgraves at ix.netcom.com> said:

> networks at vir.com wrote:
> >  The nature of the Internet means it is extremely difficult for John
> > to prevent Dr. Vulis from either posting using a pseudonym or having
> > messages forwarded to him.  IF it were possible to prevent Vulis
> > from either reading messages or posting do you think John would have
> > done that too?  Just curious.
>
> I think that gets into "how many angels can dance on the head of a
> pin"  territory, because it just isn't, and I certainly don't speak
> for him.  But...

What if John didn't prevent him "suvscribing", but instead directed his
software to simply send messages from Vulis back to him as though they were
sent to the list, but in fact did not forward his messages to the rest of
the list.  Vulis would continue to (spit) and (fart) on the list, would
assume everyone else saw it, but would not see any replies to his spew.
His remailer (spits) would still get through, but think how much less noise
there would be.

Alternatively, he could just moderate the list and not forward his rantings
at all.  LOTS more work, but still feasible.

All I'm saying is that it *is* possible for John to censor Vulis from this
list if he was so inclined.

rgds-- TA  (tallard at frb.gov)
I don't speak for the Federal Reserve Board, it doesn't speak for me.
pgp fingerprint: 10 49 F5 24 F1 D9 A7 D6  DE 14 25 C8 C0 E2 57 9D