Who owns cypherpunks [RANT]

Dale Thorn dthorn at gte.net
Thu Nov 7 21:37:50 PST 1996

Jim Ray wrote:
> Jim Choate writes:
> > There is one important legal aspect which the operator of the Cypherpunks
> > mailing list has opened themselves up for with this action. In short they
> > have now opened themselves up for defamation and liable suites by imposing
> > an editorial policy on the contents of this list (1).

> I fear you mean "libel," and I think not. (see below.)

[multi-snip]

> I'm sure John's quaking in his boots. Reread my campground analogy, and try
> to refute it. You can't. Go start your own list with no moderation. Go start
> a more moderated list than John's, like Perry's will be. Do whatever, but
> this moronic thread must end!

[more snip]

Ironic, isn't it?  Jim says "this moronic thread *must* end", and yet, this very list
that is John's *private* property is filling up with rants about censorship.  Tsk tsk.

Maybe next time they'll make it more apparent at subscription time that there's no
assurance of free speech here!