[rant] Race

Sean Roach roach_s at alph.swosu.edu
Thu Nov 7 18:19:18 PST 1996

Sandy Sandfort wrote:
>What you mean WE, white man?  ...
At first I was afraid to comment, as I have been more than vocal in the last
24 hours, but then I decided that I thought this important enough to bring up.
This was the first time on this list that I noticed such an obvious
reference to race, granted I'm fairly new to the list,(quite new in fact),
and when I think about it, there were several references to Russians and
Jews in some of the other posts about Dr. Vulis and his practices.  In my
rose colored view, I had not taken notice, possibly because they were
comments about the statements made by an individual, more likely because I'm
gratefully ignorant to most of the filth of this imperfect world.  I was
unaware of some of the hardships some of my friends and their friends still
go through just because of their skin color.  Not Just with recognized,
individual bigots, but also with the police, and I live in a sparsely
populated area.
The point I was going to make was that this comment caught my eye, because
it bridged my real, though I should say corporal as this is quite real,
world with my online world.  For a week there, I was a individual in a
society of minds, our "race" depended on our individual views.  I like being
online, I am judged by what I think matters.  When something threatens my
ability to be free of the definitions put on my physical shell, I react.
Does this have any relation to crypto?  No  But it does have relevance to
anonymity.  Online I can be who I feel like, not what I look like.
For those wondering who I am, I may be an AI painted purple with a big intel
sticker on my side, it doesn't matter, what do you think about my ideas.