Is there a Win PGP?

stewarts at ix.netcom.com stewarts at ix.netcom.com
Wed Nov 6 23:26:38 PST 1996

At 10:58 PM 11/6/96 -0500, you wrote:
>subject says it all.... Im just wondering is (and where) there is a windows
>version of PGP.. thanks!

There are two separate issues - PGP with a Windows GUI, and
PGP that really runs as a Windows process, rather than needing
to fire up a DOS window.  There are a dozen or so Windows GUIs for PGP,
many of which are on ftp.ox.ac.uk.  I especially like Private Idaho;
I think the path to it is www.eskimo.com/~joelm/ (also ftp.eskimo.com).
Current version is about 2.8 ; I'm not running it because it dropped
support for ViaCrypt (due to problems with ViaCrypt 4.0), and I like
using ViaCrypt.  I'm also having problems getting the older versions
to work on Windows NT (sigh...)

For a real Windows version, you can buy ViaCrypt (about $100-130?)
At least inside the US, to use the interesting RSA methods except through the
official external interfaces to RSAREF, you need permission from RSA.
Basic PGP for DOS/Unix/Mac has this, but there isn't a blessed Windows
version except ViaCrypt, a commercial product.  For commercial applications,
you probably also need ViaCrypt anyway.  It was a nice product before they
added Key Escrow support.  Now that Phil has bought them, they'll presumably
return to political correctness on that issue.

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts at ix.netcom.com
# You can get PGP outside the US at ftp.ox.ac.uk