Dr. Vulis is not on cypherpunks any more

Dave Crocker dcrocker at brandenburg.com
Tue Nov 5 23:07:48 PST 1996

At 4:42 PM -0500 11/4/96, Sandy Sandfort wrote:
>Granted, but neither is it a requirement to suffer fools.

	Actually I think that this view is at the core of the misunderstanding.

	In fact, we ARE required to suffer fools.  It is a clear and
acknowledged expense for an open society.

	This does not mean that we have to encourage them.  For example,
it's just fine to make a point of never responding to any mail from someone
you happen to consider a fool.  If enough list participants happen to
concur with your assessment, a de facto state of ostracism results.

	We need to acknowledge the responsibility we each carry for
encouraging continued activity by those we simultaneously assess as fools
(or worse.)

	Involuntary list membership termination is a fundamental error.

d/

Dave Crocker                                             +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                              fax: +1 408 249 6205
675 Spruce Dr.                                  dcrocker at brandenburg.com
Sunnyvale CA 94086 USA                        http://www.brandenburg.com

Internet Mail Consortium                http://www.imc.org, info at imc.org