Dr. Vulis is not on cypherpunks any more

Paul Foley mycroft at actrix.gen.nz
Tue Nov 5 07:11:11 PST 1996

On Sun, 3 Nov 1996 13:15:24 +0000, paul at fatmans.demon.co.uk wrote:

>John, if you, and those who support your actions, claim to be
>libertarians you need to take a good hard look at what you have done.

I'm in the "those who support" category.  I don't give a damn whether
Dimitri is on the list or not, I can filter if I want to, but since
John's paying for it, he can kick people off, moderate it, forge and
edit posts, or whatever he wants.  Digital signatures can prevent (or
at least detect) some of this (but he could strip the signatures, of
course) and I imagine the list wouldn't last long (would move
elsewhere) if he did this, but it would not be "anti-libertarian"
(dishonest, maybe).  The anti-libertarian side is that of those
list-members who think they have some sort of right to use John's
equipment as they please, for free, and complain when he disagrees.
Well, tough.  He's right and you're wrong.

If you don't like the way John runs the list, there's a very simple
solution: set up your own list, using _your_ computer, and run it the
way you think it should be run.  It sounds like a lot of the people on
this list would prefer your way (the same people, presumably, who
would like to borrow your car without asking, or spend a couple of
months holidaying in your house...)

>This is a distinctly "big cypherpunkish" move and really cannot be
>condoned even bearing in mind the inane and wearisome behaviour of
>Dr. Vulis.

Nonsense.  John Gilmore is not censoring anyone's mail.  He can't
possibly censor your mail (unless he runs your ISP...but then you can
always move to another ISP).  You're free to correspond with Dimitri
to your hearts content, and John has nothing to say about it...unless
you try to make him pay for it.  [If you think differently, please let
me know.  I'll be quite happy to tell my ISP to send my bills to you!
:-)]

--
Paul Foley <mycroft at actrix.gen.nz>       ---         PGPmail preferred

	   PGP key ID 0x1CA3386D available from keyservers
    fingerprint = 4A 76 83 D8 99 BC ED 33  C5 02 81 C9 BF 7A 91 E8
Reality is bad enough, why should I tell the truth?
		-- Patrick Sky