Compromise proposal

Dave Hayes dave at kachina.jetcafe.org
Mon Nov 4 14:49:58 PST 1996

> [this goes to cypherpunks at toad.com and freedom-knights at jetcafe.org. I am
> not reading f-k, but I am interested in Dave Hayes's opinion.]

What weight can my opinion possibly have? This list is apparently
owned by a Mr. John Gilmore. If he's being censorous, that's bad,
but it is apparently within his means to execute said censorship.

> Many members of cypherpunks list are right when they oppose the forced
> unsubscription of Dimitri Vulis from this list. The sorry state of this
> list is not the result of his flames alone, there is a large number of
> people who discuss things of no cryptographic relevance.

Not to speak for the cypherpunks (we all know their reputation) but I
should think the cypherpunks are savvy enough to know the subjectivity
of the term "on-topic".

> I propose the following:
> 	1) The block on Dimitri Vulis's subscriptions should be removed
> 	2) We should not impose any limitations on anyone's speech except 3)
> 	3) Dimitri and everyone else should put prefix "[FLAME]"
>            into all Subject: header fields of their flame-related
> 	   messages.

Gee. What a great idea.

> This solution will allow anyone with a clue to use appropriate filtering
> and improve the signal-noise ratio, and at the same time will not in any
> way limit anyone's freedom of speech.

Improving signal to noise is a laughable goal at a social event of
more than 100 people, why do people insist upon trying it on the net?
------
Dave Hayes - Altadena CA, USA - dave at jetcafe.org
Freedom Knight of Usenet - http://www.jetcafe.org/~dave/usenet

Be wary of strong drink.  It can make you shoot at tax collectors and miss