Discrete logs 1 [non-cryptography related annecdote]

Adamsc Adamsc at io-online.com
Sat Nov 2 23:13:32 PST 1996

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996 09:16:26 -0800, Hal Finney wrote:

>properties than regular logarithms, but I thought this bit of history
>would spark some memories in old-timers and give a new perspective for
>younger people.

It's kind of funny how quickly they dropped out of usage. I'm probably one of
the estimated 7 people under the age of 30 who actually know how to use one.
(Long story - it involves a couple months in a math class w/o a decent
calculator)  I was in an Algebra class taught by 'Father Time' - interesting
facial expression when he first noticed my 'calculator' (similar to the one
he got when I blurted out the [correct] answer to a problem he'd been
explaining while I was reading a book and ignoring him - in retrospect, RAH
was more educational).  We had to take some sort of state math test and I had
just gotten my new programable graphing calculator a week or two before (more
lost sleep - with a little creativity and a boring class you can get some
interesting code on those thingies) but for some reason I decided to bring
both calculator (the allowability of which was highly suspect) and sliderule.
 The proctor saw me and had a major fit -- over the sliderule!  Yeap, in the
state of California they don't let algebra students use a sliderule to
'cheat' on the assessment test.  They do, however, allow you to use a modern
graphing calculator with programs and an equation solver (Did I mention the
optional IR link?).

The same thing goes on with SATs and especially SAT-IIs.   Some higher-end
calculators, esp. HPs, have plugin cartridges which automate much of the
basic work in chemistry, physics, etc.  I never saw anyone who used such
things even get asked about it.  Do we even need social engineering with
people this stupid?

#  Chris Adams <adamsc at io-online.com>   | http://www.io-online.com/adamsc/adamsc.htp
#  <cadams at acucobol.com>		 | send mail with subject "send PGPKEY"
"That's our advantage at Microsoft; we set the standards and we can change them."
   --- Karen Hargrove, Microsoft (quoted in the Feb 1993 Unix Review editorial)