NRC crypto policy report to be released Thursday

Bill Frantz frantz at netcom.com
Thu May 30 17:38:59 PDT 1996

The San Jose Mercury News has the top business section article:

ON-LINE SECRECY WINS BACKING
Without it there could be havoc, panel says

Basically the report says the US will get more protection by using strong
crypto to secure its networks and systems than by keeping week crypto and
allowing LEAs to read comm.  The report describes GAK as "an untested,
unproven technology that should not be foisted on the public until it is
proven in extensive field use by the government."

A quote:

"We believe government policy should support the broad use of
cryptography." ... "We believe it presents problems for the legitimate
concerns of national security and law enforcement.  But we also point out
that strong cryptography is needed because of the proliferation of
computer-based crimes, that it would deal with national security issues by
protecting vital public networks." - Kenneth W. Dam, Chairman

Bill Frantz       | The CDA means  | Periwinkle  --  Computer Consulting
(408)356-8506     | lost jobs and  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz at netcom.com | dead teenagers | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA