Where does your data want to go today?

Marshall Clow mclow at owl.csusm.edu
Thu May 30 15:38:27 PDT 1996

At 12:47 AM -0700 5/30/96, E. ALLEN SMITH wrote:
>From:	IN%"mclow at owl.csusm.edu"  "Marshall Clow" 29-MAY-1996 19:18:31.60
>
>>* Why encrypt before compression? If the encryption is any good, then the
>>encrypted data won't compress much at all. However, compression before
>>encryption has its own problems.
>
>	What problems does compression before encryption have? It at least
>seems to work for PGP.

Most compression schemes put a header/index on the front of the compressed data.
This makes recognizing the correct decryption very simple.

Call it a limited "known plaintext" situation.

-- Marshall

Marshall Clow     Aladdin Systems   <mailto:mclow at mailhost2.csusm.edu>

"We don't have to take it; never have, never will.
Gonna shake it, gonna break it; let's forget it: better still" --The Who, "Tommy"