forged addresses

Gary Howland gary at systemics.com
Thu May 30 10:18:43 PDT 1996

Nobody in particular wrote:

> Hi, I'm not sure if there was ever a thread on this, but I was wondering if
> anyone can determine your real email address, if you were to fake it to your
> email client.
>
> I hope that this doesn't offend anyone, since this is a high traffic list, but
> I was wondering if this would work.  To try it out, I setup my client to think
> I was someone else, and sent myself an email.  I could only figure out what
> ISP it came from.

It has been known for a very long time that email does not identify the
user who sent the mail, only the machine or ISP that it was sent from (which
in this case was Myna Communications).  However, the machine/ISP will have
logs which can identify the user.

Gary
--
pub  1024/C001D00D 1996/01/22  Gary Howland <gary at systemics.com>
Key fingerprint =  0C FB 60 61 4D 3B 24 7D  1C 89 1D BE 1F EE 09 06