Clipper III analysis

jonathon grafolog at netcom.com
Wed May 29 23:15:40 PDT 1996

On Wed, 29 May 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:

> At 5:54 AM 5/29/96, jonathon wrote:
>
> >        A good Questioned Document Examiner will be able to demonstrate
> >        that the signed document in question was not authored by Joe
> >        Blow, even if it contains his digital signature.
>
> I was of course talking about digital signatures, not handwritten signatures.

	I was also talking about digital signatures.

	It is a specialty within the QDE Field, but there are a few
	QDE's that are _currently_ doing that.  << Printed hard copy,
	not electronic copy, but that is the _only_ difference.  >>

> I would be very interested to hear how a "Questioned Document Examiner" can

	It is at the point where statistics, textual analysis, grammar
	and lingustics converge.

> possibly determine that a digital signature was not applied by a particular
> person.

	I don't remember the minimum number of characters that are needed
	to establish that a document was written by a specific individual.
	Roughly fifteen pages of text that both sides admit as being
	authentic is required for the undisputed exemplars.

	The actual work is not that difficult, just time consuming.

        xan

        jonathon
        grafolog at netcom.com

*       Opinions expressed don't necessarily reflect my own views.   *
*	There is no way that they can be construed to represent      *
*	any organization's views.				     *
*       http://members.tripod.com/~graphology/index.html             *