Remailers - What exists?

E. ALLEN SMITH EALLENSMITH at ocelot.Rutgers.EDU
Tue May 28 21:33:43 PDT 1996

From:	IN%"stewarts at ix.netcom.com"  "Bill Stewart" 28-MAY-1996 05:27:38.19

>It helps a lot to have an account that isn't your main email
>account, because it's going to get lots of junk in it
>that you want to discard most of, so you'd be better
>off without your real mail going there, unless you're
>a procmail wizard.

	A related question is about the cover traffic generators. With those,
I've gathered you've got the two choices of loops and nowhere-ending chains
(e.g., directing it to "nobody" on most systems). If it's done using a loop,
is there any way for a procmail script to determine that and toss them into
/dev/null?

>Mixmaster-style remailers are more secure than vanilla ones,
>but of course you need to use the Mixmaster client software
>to use them, which could be a problem if you're a DOS or Mac user.

	Or a VAX/VMS user; there are, I have been informed, enough
UNIX-specific system calls in Mixmaster that porting it isn't a trivial task.

>- ability to mess with the sendmail logs
>- ability to tell the backup software not to back up your
>  spool directory (which would be Really Bad, especially
>  if your computer provider keeps backups forever.)
>  The alternative is to put it under /tmp somewhere,
>  and just make sure it recovers if too much stuff gets
>  deleted by regular daemons.

	What mechanisms are available to make sure it will recover if /tmp
gets deleted? I suspect also that many ISPs might be quite willing not to
bother backing up some directory or another - it saves them time and space.
	Thanks,
	-Allen