Remailers & liability

E. ALLEN SMITH EALLENSMITH at ocelot.Rutgers.EDU
Mon May 27 17:13:44 PDT 1996

From:	IN%"gbroiles at netbox.com"  "Greg Broiles" 26-MAY-1996 19:38:38.36

>For what it's worth, I'm still planning to run a remailer again when I get
>settled down somewhere. (I don't think remailers do much good where the
>operator isn't root, so I'm not bothering with trying to run one on someone
>else's system.) My debt/asset ratio is bad enough from all of this school
>that I don't have much for anyone to levy against. Ha, ha. Anyone want some
>rapidly obsolescing computer and law books? :(

	Why, precisely, do you think that remailers don't do much good where
the operator isn't root? The possibility of the sysop looking at the mail &
getting the private key, the increased susceptibility to cracking of non-root
accounts, possible sysop non-cooperation in an honest manner (as opposed to the
first one), or what?
	Thanks,
	-Allen