The Report -- The Day the Earth Stood Still

Timothy C. May tcmay at got.net
Sun May 26 14:41:46 PDT 1996

I wrote:

"And don't forget that Ray Ozzie, the esteemed developer of Lotus Notes
(Iris Associates, connected with Lotus, and now IBM), is on the panel. He
got all the various briefings, I presume. His response? Don't forget that
he announced that Lotus Notes and such products would implement the "40 +
24 Solution," with 24 bits of a 64-bit key given to the government, leaving
users with a trivially-crackable 40-bit key."

Just to clarify this a bit, this was for the export versions of the
products, not the domestic versions. (Most such restrictions have been for
export versions.)

But the point is that companies are, behind the scenes, making plans to
incorporate GAK into their products.

The list carried a long discussion of the Lotus plan, back several months
ago. (Too bad the archives are no longer available....that "several days"
mentioned in the March 18th message at the
http://www.hks.net/cpunks/index.html site sure has gotten longer.)

Only 4.8 days left until The Report is released.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!