National Journal article sez net-activism is just political hicks

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Fri May 24 02:40:52 PDT 1996

At 09:05 PM 5/23/96 -0700, Timothy C. May wrote:

>>At least we now know that the National Journal hasn't heard of
>>Cyber-Anarchy--- or they didn't understand one word of it.
>

>What is this "cyber-anarchy" (or "Cyber-Anarchy") you keep talking about?

(Yeah, yeah.  Okay, I forgot the trademark.  But I still can't find the
"circle-C" on my keyboard!)

That's exactly the reaction of the typical mainstream media news person
today.  But that will change, I think, and probably well within a couple of
years.

I keep waiting for Time magazine to declare the Internet to be "The Man of
the Year", like they did the (personal?) computer in one year in the middle
1980's.  It has certainly been covered far more this year than any year in
the past.  Now that the traditional media has discovered the Internet,
they'd damn well start covering its political implications.

Last year, for instance, the media was apparently unwilling to admit that
the main reason the Congressional hearings on Waco occurred was because the
subject was kept alive on the computer networks.  By next year, I don't
think they'll be able to keep silent on similar situations:  Too many people
will consider the Internet to be at least their secondary news source, if
not their primary one.

Jim Bell
jimbell at pacifier.com