MixMaster fair use

Bill Stewart stewarts at ix.netcom.com
Thu May 23 10:52:16 PDT 1996

At 12:14 AM 5/22/96 EDT, you wrote:
>From:	IN%"loki at infonex.com" 21-MAY-1996 17:19:02.59
>
>>The problem is RSAREF. I can't chose license terms for that.
>
>	Oof... I see the problem. No, it's not you, it's them.

The Agreement, as written, covers all of Mixmaster; it would be easier
for people to adapt Mixmaster code if you either release a bones version
or a license that clarifies that you can't use the RSAREF portions
commercially but can do whatever you want with the rest of Mixmaster
(if that's what you want) or however much freedom you want to grant
(e.g. you may want to say some disclaimerish words about obeying ITAR etc.)

Consensus.com is doing commercial licensing for RSAREF now; there may
be some reasonably-priced approach to the problem.

RSAREF has at least three kinds of legal protection:
- contract (if you're using a licensed version)
- patent (on doing RSA-method encryption, not on the code itself)
- copyright (on the RSAREF code itself.)
#					Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, stewarts at ix.netcom.com, +1-415-442-2215
# goodtimes signature virus innoculation