Is Chaum's System Traceable or Untraceable?

E. ALLEN SMITH EALLENSMITH at ocelot.Rutgers.EDU
Wed May 22 22:38:57 PDT 1996

From:	IN%"iang at cs.berkeley.edu" 22-MAY-1996 14:51:29.42

>In the "normal" protocol, the payee has to go online.  In the "anon" protocol,
>the payer has to go online.  Since you don't want to go online when you
>walk into a shop, you can pay the shop with the "normal" protocol, and
>the shop gives you change with the "anon" protocol.

>That way, you never need to go online, and your identity is never compromised.

	However, the shop's still is, although the bank might not be able to
determine as much about how much income is coming in. OTOH, we're talking about
a physical shop situation; I'm not sure how critical it is to have shop
anonymnity with payor cooperation for this, since the payor can break it
anyway.
	-Allen