An alternative to remailer shutdowns

Black Unicorn unicorn at schloss.li
Wed May 22 20:42:15 PDT 1996

On Tue, 21 May 1996, Andrew Loewenstern wrote:

> Ben Holiday <ncognito at gate.net> writes:
> >  As far as I can tell an agreement of this form would be at
> >  least as valid as the software licenses ("NOTICE: Opening this
> >  envelope constitutes your agreement to the terms.. blah blah
> >  blah") that are commonly used today.
>
> IANAL, but I have one, and he said (a couple of years ago) that these
> shrinkwrap contracts are practically worthless without a signature.  At least
> this was how things were being handled in some districts.  Anyone care to
> comment?

I concur.

> crypto relevance:  Can RSADSI __really__ enforce the silly "thou shalt not
> call certain functions" restrictions in their 'license'?  I doubt it, but I
> would love for someone to prove me wrong.

This is closer.  You're asked to accept the terms of the license or return
the product.  It's a stronger issue and more likely to be upheld.

> andrew

---
My preferred and soon to be permanent e-mail address:unicorn at schloss.li
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information
Opp. Counsel: For all your expert testimony needs: jimbell at pacifier.com