FTC online workshop on privacy

Declan B. McCullagh declan+ at CMU.EDU
Wed May 22 10:02:11 PDT 1996

Excerpts from internet.cypherpunks: 22-May-96 FTC online workshop on
privacy by "E. ALLEN SMITH"@ocelot.
> Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 01:08 EDT
> From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH at ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
> Subject: FTC online workshop on privacy
> To: cypherpunks at toad.com
>
>         Pointing out encryption, anonymnity, etcetera as means couldn't
> hurt...

Speaking of privacy and cypherpunkly interests, one bill that seems to
have grown out of the FTC's recent interest in the area will be
introduced in two hours.

The legislation being introduced at 10:30 am will restrict selling
mailing lists with childrens' names and other identifying info on them,
including email lists. Another attempt to regulate the net, or a good
thing?

Supporting is Christian Coalition, Family Research Council, Enough is
Enough!, Bruce "I wrote the CDA" Taylor's group, and EPIC.

I'm not sure what I think of it, since I just got the text of the
legislation yesterday.

-Declan