Canada allows crypto exports

M. Plumb mp at psyche.the-wire.com
Wed May 22 00:19:17 PDT 1996

Several months ago I filed a set of export applications requesting
permission to export cryptographic software from Canada. I learned a
few things from these applications, my conversations with people at
Export Controls, and my own careful reading of Canada's export laws.

    There are a few countries to which you may not export anything,
    without a permit.

    You need a permit to export most cryptographic software.

    It is legal to export Canadian software, even cryptographic
    software, which has no restrictions on distribution (this must be
    explicitly stated, not just implied by being available for public
    FTP). No paperwork needs to be filled out.

    Cryptographic software of U.S. origin may be exported, but you
    need to file paperwork.

    Cryptographic software from other countries may be exported without
    any paperwork.

    These are the Canadian rules. Canada interprets and enforces the
    U.S. export laws when they think it is necessary. While the U.S.
    government has sometimes objected to a Canadian interpretation, no
    Canadian exporter, acting with Canadian permission, has been charged
    by the U.S. government.

The export of cryptographic software from Canada is under review right
now. All of this could change at any time.

A complete explanation of the process, and results is available from the
Electronic Frontier Canada's web site at:
<http://www.efc.ca/pages/doc/crypto-export.html>

Marc Plumb
mp at the-wire.com
May 21, 1996