mixmaster nsa at omaha.com going down Jun 4th.

Alex Strasheim alex at proust.suba.com
Tue May 21 19:23:40 PDT 1996

I'm closing my mixmaster, nsa at omaha.com, on the 4th of June.

There wasn't an incident that triggered this, but Hal's post about the FBI
sort of spooked me, as have the lawsuits.  I don't have a lot of assets
myself, but I do have partners.  My lawyer tells me that there's no
reliable way to separate my personal net activities from those of the
company my parnters and I own, and that I could even be exposing my
parnters to personal liability.

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me the problem with running a
remailer is that it's an inherently altruistic enterprise.  That in itself
wouldn't be so bad, but the liability makes the extent of the altruism
open ended.  If I knew that the worst case scenario would be $1k or even a
$5k personal loss I could do it, but an open ended liability that's shared
by my partners is unacceptable.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this will cause.

Alex Strasheim, alex at proust.suba.com