An alternative to remailer shutdowns

Bruce Baugh bruce at aracnet.com
Tue May 21 15:29:48 PDT 1996

At 03:02 PM 5/20/96 -0700, Hal <hfinney at shell.portal.com> wrote:

>My thought is to turn the block list concept on its head, and make it a
>"permit list".  Simply, the remailer will only send mail to people who
>have voluntarily indicated their willingness to receive it.

On the whole, I like it. The problem comes when someone is trying
communicate anonymously with some other person who doesn't have a clue about
the whole thing. It would be neat to have soem way of generating a message
to the effect "Someone is trying to communicate anonymously with you. [short
explanation of good and bad uses of anonymity] If you would like to receive
this message, [instructions about permitting]"

Unfortunately, I don't know how one could separate those messages from all
the rest of the traffic.

--
Bruce Baugh
bruce at aracnet.com