The Crisis with Remailers

Marcel van der Peijl bigmac at digicash.com
Tue May 21 10:12:24 PDT 1996

> How do you create such tiny payments? When I try (2.1.5a MT)
> to pay $.001 I receive the warning "Too many digits after '.'!" and
> even though it's just a warning I can't do the payment.
> Assuming that you had a client that allows tiny amounts, how would
> you represent a tenth of a cent in binary? To to it exactly would
> require an infinite number of coins...

The minimum denomination for each currency is (sort of)
configurable. For instance, for Belgian Franks the minimum is 1 (and
no '.'). If a bank requested a currency capable of handling a
mimimum of 0.00005 we could make that happen real easy. Note that
with the maximum coin size 2^15 times minimum amount, the maximum
coin would get a lot smaller, so that it would become more
impractical to pay large amounts in that currency.

On the longer term we can of course even change
- the 2^15 maximum
- maximum number of coins per message (currently 75)
if the requirements were there.

// Marcel van der Peijl, DigiCash bv, http://www.digicash.com/~bigmac/
// ----------------- insert subliminal message here ------------------