An alternative to remailer shutdowns

Rich Graves llurch at networking.stanford.edu
Tue May 21 07:02:32 PDT 1996

On Tue, 21 May 1996, jonathon wrote:

> On Mon, 20 May 1996, Rich Graves wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 May 1996, Declan B. McCullagh did NOT write:

[Oops, I was replying to Declan's forward of Hal Finney's message, and got
the attribution wong. The path cypherpunks -> fight-censorship -> me
is often faster than cypherpunks -> me, probably because unsubscribing
and resubscribing put me way down on the list. Sorry. This was Hal.]

> > I like the "knock-knock" approach, though it would of necessity impose
> > load. If someone has an anonymous message waiting, send them a simple note
> > with instructions on how to retrieve it.
>
> 	That way you could also charge the recipient to retrieve
> 	a message.
>
> 	How about a farthing to recieve a message, and
> 	two farthings to send a message, no charge to
> 	mixmaster recipients or originators?

That sounds like a great opportunity for denial-of-service attacks. No,
thank you.

A flat fee for a special-delivery service profile (gimme $5/month and you
get messages automatically, without the confirmation) would be fine, but I
can't see paying per piece to *receive* anonymous messages.

-rich