The Crisis with Remailers

Steven L Baur steve at miranova.com
Tue May 21 01:45:07 PDT 1996

>>>>> "Steve" == Steve Reid <root at edmweb.com> writes:

Steve> Ecash postage might discourage the average spammer, unless that
Steve> spammer has deep pockets. With postage, the only spam I can
Steve> think of that would gain money or break even is a commercial
Steve> advertisment, and there's no point to using remailers for
Steve> commercial ads anyways, since people need to know how to
Steve> contact the business.

It isn't spam if they're paying for the traffic.  Commercial
advertisement through electronic mail is only evil because it is
forced on someone against their wishes and on their dime.  The current
situation is much like a telemarketer calling long distance collect
with billing done automatically, and you can't hang up until they're
done with their spiel.

If it were standard practice for email recipients to charge the sender
an ecash fee (waived if they thought the mail worth their time), it
would make things much more interesting.

--
steve at miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.