The Crisis with Remailers

E. ALLEN SMITH EALLENSMITH at ocelot.Rutgers.EDU
Mon May 20 04:49:22 PDT 1996

From:	IN%"loki at infonex.com" 18-MAY-1996 20:02:12.04

>I was invited to the digicash API design meeting precisely to make sure it
>could be used in remailers. It will not be using the current API. The
>problem is that Mixmaster requires exact knowledge of the size of every
>object in the message, to maintain constant message size. I could set aside
>room for one, two, three coins, but there is no guarantee that the payment
>will be made with only that many coins. The current API is going to be high
>level. It will does not allow the program to know anything about the
>internals of the payment. I need to be able to specify payment of amount X
>using no more than N coins. As soon as I have that level of control, you
>will see postage in Mixmaster.

	Good. I can see doing a limited postage now, actually, with relatively
simple modifications - the postage goes to the initial remailer front end and
to the remailer that sends out the message to something other than another
remailer.
	-Allen