Rumor: DSS Broken?

Robert Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Sun May 19 08:49:27 PDT 1996

At 9:41 PM  -0400 5/18/96, Bill Stewart wrote:
> MD5 is at least weakened, maybe broken; there's an abstract by Hans Dobbertin
> that says something about generating collisions, and gives an example
> (though the abstract doesn't say how general the method is.)

That's what I get for not reading the DSS stuff when it came out. I'd heard
lots about the MD5 stuff, but I didn't put the two together.

It also looks like I'm behind in my reading.  Time to buy another edition
of Applied Cryptography...

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga (rah at shipwright.com)
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
"If they could 'just pass a few more laws',
  we would all be criminals."    --Vinnie Moscaritolo
The e$ Home Page: http://thumper.vmeng.com/pub/rah/