WELCOME TO THE NEW ROMAN EMPIRE

Dave Harman qut at netcom.com
Sun May 19 00:05:53 PDT 1996

> On Sat, 18 May 1996, Duncan Frissell wrote:
>
> > It was understandable to be poor when all the world was poor.  It is
> > understandable to be poor in those nations today that make the
> > accumulation of wealth a crime for most people.  It is not understandable
> > to be poor (for long) in the US where one can reliably get out of poverty
> > simply by doing three simple things:
> >
> > 1) get a high school diploma

EVERYONE GETS A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA --> HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMAS BECOME WORTHLESS
EVERYONE GETS A PHD --> PHDS BECOME WORTHLESS

> > 2) get married

EVERYONE GETS MARRIED --> MARRIAGE BECOMES SPIRITUALLY BANKRUPT

> > 3) get any job

EVERYONE GETS A JOB --> EVERYONE TAKES THE PAYCUT

> > Only about 2 tenths of 1% of those who satisfy those three requirements
> > incomes below the official poverty line.

HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THE TENS OF MILLIONS IN APPALACHIA WHO GRADUATED MARRIED AND WORK IN POVERTY

> > Like most libertarians, I dislike the government.  I don't care what a
> > person's income is.  When I was self-supporting on an income of $200 a
> > month in 1979, I was below the poverty level for a single person myself.
> > I am not enamored of the rich or poor members of the dependendant classes
> > of course.

IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT THE GOVERNMENT IS DOING WRONG ITS BRAIN IS BUSINESS

> > I try and keep in mind that 80-90% of the "take" in government
> > programs for the "poor" goes to unpoor government employees.

IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT THE GOVERNMENT IS DOING WRONG ITS BRAIN IS BUSINESS

> > DCF
> >
> I've done all these things - and rather more in the way of education.  But
> while I don't fall on or near the poverty line, I'm still poor as a church
> mouse.  What am I doing wrong?

YOUR WHITE LIKE THE 100000000S SUFFERING IN POVERTY IN THE NEW ROMAN EMPIRE