Sendmail Question (was: SMTP Server for sending to anonymous remailers?)

Anonymous User nobody at c2.org
Sun May 19 00:04:21 PDT 1996

lcs Mixmaster Remailer <mix at anon.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:

> > Does anyone know of an anonymous remailer that has an SMTP server
> > (hopefully unlogged) that I can specify in a special variant of the
> > "sendmail.cf" sendmail configuration file for sending mail to
> > anonymous servers?
> >
> > I use a PPP connection, and right now I'm using my ISP's default
> > server and I don't like the idea of logs being kept, even though the
> > messages themselves are chained/encrypted.
> >
> > Maybe I'm "paranoid", but if I wasn't, I probably wouldn't bother
> > with PGP, C'punk remailers, etc. <g>
>
> Anon.lcs.mit.edu does not perform ident lookups, does not add
> failures and potential security problems" logged, according to the
> sendmail manual).
>
> This is useful for testing things out anonymously, but I don't
> understand why you would want to use it an a regular basis.  Why don't
> you send your mail directly from your home machine to the first
> remailer hop?  Nothing is forcing you to send outgoing mail through
> your ISP's mail server or any other one particular mail server.  Why
> would you want to do that in the first place?

What settings do you use in sendmail.cf to accomplish this (sending
it directly)?  Is that the default behavior?  Specifically, what
goes on the "DR" and "DV" lines?  When I send mail from my PPP
account to my work account, I always seem to end up with a "Received:
>From <my ISP's host> by <some intermediate host>" line.  I'm
ass-u-ming that if the host name shows up in the headers, it's
passing through that machine and is potentially being logged.