SEVERE undercapacity, we need more remailer servers FAST

Bill Stewart stewarts at ix.netcom.com
Sat May 18 01:17:32 PDT 1996

At 02:29 PM 5/15/96 -0700, you wrote:
>What do I need to do to support a remailer that posts to non binary
>newsgroups? (I do not have root control on a unix machine other than my
>employers machine, for which I am unlikely to receive approval to use
>in this fashion.)

1) You either need lots of patience, or you need to really _not_ care
about people getting spammed from your remailer.  The patience is
because you'll get some flames, and you really should read the
remailer-operators at c2.org newsgroup to keep track of spammers or
spammees that you need to block.  Most of the remailers make it
easy to block based on origin or destination of messages by putting
a pattern in their block files.  Adding content blocking is just a
Simple Matter of Programming, but it's getting to be necessary
given some of the spams to newsgroups these days, such as posting
hate articles with a victim's name attached.

2) You need a machine that will accept nntp news postings from you.
It's probably much more convenient if you can get the postings
to go out with your own domain on them (jim.com is fine; isp.net
is okay, employer.com is bad, employer's-isp.com is less bad.)
Play around with the machine you're getting your newsfeed from.

3) You need a news-capable remailer; I've got a modified ghio2
downloadable from http://idiom.com/~wcs/remailer.c ; modify
the relevant #defines for your remailer's information, compile and go.

4) I suppose if you're going to hack the remailer anyway,
you could add a feature that adds a trailer like
This message was posted from the anonymous remailer at www.jim.com.
Send any complaints to webmaster at www.jim.com .
Please don't post any copyrighted material longer than fair use quotations.
And did you know that Scientology's highly overpriced documents say that
        "<random paragraph quotation>"
#					Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, stewarts at ix.netcom.com, +1-415-442-2215
# goodtimes signature virus innoculation