Civil liberties of employees (Re: FYB_oss)

Bill Frantz frantz at netcom.com
Tue May 14 00:21:48 PDT 1996

At  9:34 AM 5/13/96 -0700, Timothy C. May wrote:
>Sure, I agree that _contracts_ can make a difference. But note that
>contracts are not a requirement of employment: I can, for example, hire
>someone to rake my leaves. If he decides that manual labor violates his
>"civil rights," I can give him the boot. No muss, no fuss, no contracts.

But there is a very clear contract here.  He rakes your leaves and you pay
him the agreed amount.  If he does not rake, he is in default and you don't
pay him.  If he rakes and you don't pay him, you are in default and he can
probably collect thru small claims court.

I have done consulting work here in Silicon Valley based on such contracts.
 (The value was low and I had assurance, from a mutual friend, that I was
contracting with a man of honor.  I did the work and got paid.)  IMHO, it
beats the hell out of 3 months dealing with corporate legal.

Bill Frantz       | The CDA means  | Periwinkle  --  Computer Consulting
(408)356-8506     | lost jobs and  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz at netcom.com | dead teenagers | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA