Hacktic remailer shutdown

Rich Graves llurch at networking.stanford.edu
Sat May 11 04:28:51 PDT 1996

On Fri, 10 May 1996, Jeff Simmons wrote:

> Is there any information available on why the Hacktic remailer was shut
> down?

Church of Scientology. Someone posted too many Secret Scriptures, it
seems. The details, nobody has shared. Conspiracy theories, galore, but I
have faith in their judgement and commitment to free speech and anonymity.
I'm sure it was a tough decision.

Btw, I don't believe it has shut down yet. Rather, the operators announced
that due to "recent events," there would be a planned shutdown on May
20th.

I *would* like to know if the mail2news gateway is going down in addition
to the remailer. I'm assuming that it is.

-rich