PGP, Inc.

Tim Dierks timd at consensus.com
Fri May 10 19:39:10 PDT 1996

At 11:10 PM 5/9/96, E. ALLEN SMITH wrote:
>From:   IN%"shamrock at netcom.com"  9-MAY-1996 23:02:01.67
>
>>At 19:37 5/9/96, E. ALLEN SMITH wrote:
>>>        I can see some fascinating legal questions with what, exactly, a
>>>VeriSign certificate obligates the company for. Digital signature laws should
>>>get interesting - any application of this to the Utah one?
>
>>VeriSign is going to offer four levels of certs. The first requires only
>>uniqueness. For the other three levels, VeriSign will require more and
>>better assurances of the correctness of True Name stated on the cert. I
>>don't know what form these assurances are supposed to take.
>
>    The first level, in other words, is less of a certification than a PGP
>key with self-signature and signature from one other person. It doesn't have
>_any_ effort to verify that the email address stated on it is the actual email
>address of that nym. Or am I misinterpreting you?

The only effort they make is that when using the email-based CA, it mails
the certificate to the address within, so it's not trivial to get a cert
for an address that you don't have access to. (I'm not saying it's
impossible, or even hard, just that it requires some skill and effort).

 - Tim

Tim Dierks  --  timd at consensus.com  --  www.consensus.com
Head of Thing-u-ma-jig Engineering, Consensus Development