PGP, Inc.

Lucky Green shamrock at netcom.com
Fri May 10 14:30:22 PDT 1996

At 19:37 5/9/96, E. ALLEN SMITH wrote:
>From:   IN%"shamrock at netcom.com"  8-MAY-1996 11:06:21.74
>
>>Since VeriSign is going to issue certs for nyms for free, the only
>>requirement being uniqueness, using their certs might not prove much of a
>>problem.
>
>        I can see some fascinating legal questions with what, exactly, a
>VeriSign certificate obligates the company for. Digital signature laws should
>get interesting - any application of this to the Utah one?

VeriSign is going to offer four levels of certs. The first requires only
uniqueness. For the other three levels, VeriSign will require more and
better assurances of the correctness of True Name stated on the cert. I
don't know what form these assurances are supposed to take.

Disclaimer: My opinions are my own, not those of my employer.

-- Lucky Green <mailto:shamrock at netcom.com>
   PGP encrypted mail preferred.