FBI probes CompuServe adult programming

Joseph M. Reagle Jr. by way of "Joseph M. Reagle Jr." <reagle@rpcp.mit.edu> reagle at rpcp.mit.edu
Wed May 8 18:07:01 PDT 1996

        COLUMBUS, Ohio, May 8 (UPI) -- The FBI, acting on a complaint from a
Christian morals watchdog group, Wednesday sought to determine whether
CompuServe Inc. has violated a new law against indecency.
        FBI agents said they were attempting to determine whether
CompuServe's Entertainment Drive, which contains some adult material,
violates the Communications Decency Act. The law prohibits offering
pornography to on-line users, especially minors.
        CompuServe, headquartered in Upper Arlington, noted parents can now
block their children from reaching any adult-oriented content. Users
must use a password to reach certain restricted areas.
        ``At this time we are not doing anything,'' CompuServe spokeswoman
Daphne Kent told the Columbus Dispatch. ``We cooperate fully with any
law enforcement agency, but we have not had talks with (the FBI) at this
time.''
        The FBI started the investigation after the Justice Department
determined a complaint from the American Family Association had merit.
        A spokesman said American Family made CompuServe a target because the
on-line service is one of the world's largest such businesses and offers
sexually oriented content.
        American Family, based in Tupelo, Miss., also objects to CompuServe's
MacGlamour Forum, which contains adult pictures and movies.