Transitive trust and MLM

Rich Graves llurch at networking.stanford.edu
Wed May 8 03:43:30 PDT 1996

On Tue, 7 May 1996, Bill Frantz wrote:

> Some of the solution to this problem may come from the answer to the
> question, "What am I trusting the receiver with?"  I can see a number of
> possibilities:
>
> (1) I just want an envelope so casual eavesdroppers can't read the mail.
> Given the people Rich Graves has been dealing with, I see this as a
> powerful reason to encrypt all private email, just as you might send all
> private postal mail in envelopes rather than on postcards.

Oh, those WhoWhere? guys are just a bunch of pussycats.

The fact that you're sending postcards is only a problem if you don't want
them to be read. It's more the email I receive that I worry about, so all
my friends use the address rich at alpha.c2.org now.

You should only worry about men in the middle when you're playing
volleyball. The endpoints are usually far more vulnerable.

-rich
 http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~llurch/