Police tactics question

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Tue May 7 23:51:33 PDT 1996

At 03:33 PM 5/7/96 -0400, Joseph M. Reagle Jr. wrote:
>At 11:26 PM 5/6/96 -0400, Michael Froomkin wrote:
>>One of my students has written a paper that may answer some of your
>>questions,  Online Stings: High Tech Entrapment or Innovative Law
>>Enforcement?, by  Jeffrey D. Weinstock
>>http://www.law.miami.edu/~froomkin/seminar/papers/weinstock.htm
>
>        Also, I'll stick in a plug for a paper I wrote a year ago for Mitch
>Kapor's "Political Economy of the Digital Infrastructure" class at the Media
>Lab:
>

>Entrapment in Cyberspace -- On The Likelihood of Digital Stings

Here's a question:  Why can't we do stings OF POLICE, not by police?  If
they can mail porno to people and have them arrested, why can't we identify
thug-types on the net, email them porno (perhaps from out of the country, to
keep the sender legal) and then break into their houses and arrest them?

What?  What's sauce for the goose ISN'T sauce for the gander?

Jim Bell
jimbell at pacifier.com